The IEEE VIS conference is excited to support our VISKids and young families!
Melbourne is a child-friendly city and Australia is a great place to visit with kids. With these initiatives, we hope to facilitate the attendance of those with young families.
To enable parents to attend VIS, this year we have partnered with a reputable childcare service to provide a dedicated nanny (or nannies) for the VISKids space. Throughout the duration of the conference, VISKids will have a dedicated suite (including TV, tables, bed/cot, bathroom and shower facilities) for play and interactions, located in the adjoining hotel, accessible via a walkway. To secure your place or express your interest, please indicate as early as possible via the registration system or email.
Prior to the conference, we will give you the opportunity to connect with other VISKids parents to meet and greet and share plans for adventures in Melbourne.
The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (VIS venue) has a nearby parenting room with spacious change room, toilet and private feeding spaces.
VISKids Childcare Grants
Some small grants may be available for VIS attendees who incur extra expenses while participating in VIS. The grants will be given as a reimbursement for expenses. Preference will be given to students and early career attendees who are presenting at the conference.
Examples of allowable expenses
- Home-based babysitting or childcare services incurred because of attendance at the conference or approved satellite events.
- Travel expenses for the child, limited to reimbursement of airfare/train fare.
Not eligible for reimbursement
- Babysitting or childcare services on location in the city of the conference (already provided, as above).
- Travel or other expenses related to the attendee’s participation in the meeting, including meeting registration, meals, travel to the meeting (including private automobile mileage or tolls), or other expenses the attendee would already be incurring by attending the meeting.
- Meals for the child, toys, and tickets to museums, amusement parks, etc.
- On-going home-based childcare expenses.
- Recipients of a childcare grant must submit receipts for reimbursable expenses.
- Reimbursements will be distributed after the conference.
- A reimbursement form will be distributed to grant awardees by email.
To apply for childcare grants or with any questions, please contact VISKids@ieeevis.org by September 8th, 2023.
We share further information with the VISKids Community on other potential funding sources in an online document. We invite you to participate and share your ideas and tips.
If you are interested in being a VISKids supporter, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.